Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blog Post: June 26

Lissette
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs there were Indians fighting on both sides. The difference between the Battle of Honey Springs and most other Civil War battles is that Honey Springs had a lot of different soldiers involved and the others didn’t. I would like to tell my family about the living history re-enactors that we met at Honey Springs.

Erika
I learned many interesting things about the Battle of Honey Springs. One thing that Native Americans fought on both sides. This never happened in any other battle before. The Battle of Honey Springs is different than other Civil War battles because Native Americans were on both sides. My experiences so far have been great. We’ve been to many cool places. There were some rough spots, especially pitching tents but we FINALLY get a hotel [in St. Louis]. I can’t wait for D.C. It feels like it should be our ninth day [when we are in D.C.] But it will be fun.

Alexis
At Honey Springs, I learned that thousands of Indians fought on both sides against their own tribes. This is different from other Civil War battles because the Indians hadn’t fought with the armies before. I would like to tell my family and friends back home about how many different battle tactics could work with the land around Honey Springs. Because of our survival game [“How would YOU survive the Civil War”] I learned how hard it was during the years of being a soldier.

Taylor R
Some of the interesting things I learned about the Battle of Honey Springs are the different bullets that they used. The thing that was different about the Battle of Honey Springs was that American Indians fought on both sides. I would like to tell my family about all of the different hikes that we went on. The Civil War game affects the way I view soldiers because it helps me imagine what was going on.

Cheyene M.
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs, Indians fought on both sides of the battle. This battle was different from others in the Civil War because it was the most diverse battle. I would like to tell my family and friends that it is really interesting learning about all of the history. The game helps me understand what the soldiers needed to survive and why they needed it.

Claudia M.
What I learned at Honey Springs that seemed interesting was that Indians were fighting on both sides. The Battle of Honey Springs was different from most other battles because they had Indians fighting on both sides. I would like to tell my family and friends back home that going to all of these battle sights is amazing because even just standing there is being a part of history! The Civil War survival game makes me feel like I’m an actual soldier because I’m doing what they were doing and I’m seeing what they saw.

Jade T.
At the Honey Springs, I learned that there were about 3,600 African Americans fighting. The other thing I learned was that Native Americans fought on both sides. What was different about the Battle of Honey Springs was that when the Confederates were supposed to retreat the middle charged forward and was shot. I would like to tell my family and friends that I’m learning a lot and having fun and that I can’t wait to come home and tell them everything. The Civil War survival game helps me to understand the Civil War because we know what they need to survive and we understand why.

Mandi B.
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs, many different people fought: Indians, African Americans and whites. This was what made the Battle of Honey Springs different from other battles. I would like to tell my friends and family that we have been on the road a lot, learned some interesting things on the way and that I am making lots of friends! The Civil War survival game makes me really think of how it was like to not be prepared and how best to handle that situation.

Heaven T.
At Honey Springs, I learned that this battle was different than other battles because American Indians fought on both sides, each hoping that victory would mean better life for their native people.I would like to tell my friends and family that I have learned a lot so far about the battles and that I’m having lots of fun camping and learning about history. Our Civil War game helps me to understand more about how it was very important for soldiers to have everything they need.

Klara C.
Honey Springs was a horrible time for the Confederates. Just because of one rainstorm the Confederates had wet gun powder which didn’t give much accuracy with their firearms and once they were in trouble, reinforcements were too late to defend their army. The difference between Honey Springs was that it was one of the most intercultural battles fought. There were African Americans, whites, Hispanics and many more different cultures from around the world

I really think that this trip is an opportunity of a lifetime. When we got to a fort that was used as a battlefield I can’t believe that I am walking on a land of history. I’ve heard of the Civil War since second grade and now I am walking on the battlefields where they actually took place.

The survival game shows me what the soldier went through and also they never wanted too much weight so you have a limited amount of space to store your equipment. This is amazing. I miss you, Mama. Daddy and Scampi.

Katie
Some of the interesting things I learned about Honey Springs was that the Confederates should have won because they had more men but the Union had the latest technology. The Battle of Honey Springs was different from other Civil War battles because there were Indians in this battle. I would like to tell my friends and family that this had been really fun so far and I can’t wait to take a shower! Our Civil War survival game makes me know, feel and see how poor the soldiers were.

Angelina
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs, American Indians and Oklahomans fought on both sides of the conflict. This battle was different from others in the Civil War because it was the first battle to have African Americans fight. I would like my friends and family back home to know that I have had a really fun trip so far. I think it’s really cool learning about all the battles. Our Civil War survival game helps me to understand what life was like for the soldiers.

Bryttnee L.
Some interesting things I learned at Honey Springs was that the army soldiers would hear a gun fire and they would sometimes run and hide. Honey Springs was different from most other Civil War Battles because of the way the soldiers set up the plan to victory. I would like to tell my friends and family back home about the long bus rides and the adventures outdoors. Our Civil War survival game has helped me view the sights and battles by helping me understand what the soldiers carried and went through.

Pilar D.
The interesting things that I learned from Honey Springs was that all the soldiers had a very hard time during the Civil War. The difference between Honey Springs and many other Civil War battles is that Honey Springs had Indians fighting on both sides. I would like to tell my friends and family that these experiences are so cool and that I’m learning a lot of new things. The Civil War survival game affects me because it makes me feel the way that soldiers did.

Devyn
One really interesting thing that I learned today was that Indians fought against other Indians at the Battle of Honey Springs. The difference between this battle and other Civil War battles is that the first African American soldiers fought in this battle. I would like to tell my friends and family that this experience is really fun and I can’t wait to learn more. The Civil War survival game has helped me learn about how hard life was for the soldiers.

Sissi
One interesting thing that I learned about the Honey Springs battle was that the soldiers travelled cross county on foot and didn’t have horses to carry them. Honey Springs was different from other battles because of the involvement of American Indians who fought against each other, and that usually doesn’t happen. I would like to tell my friends and family that this trip is a good opportunity to learn new things and prepare us for the next years. The Civil War survival game affects the way I view the Civil War because it shows us what the soldiers went through and makes me think about if I could actually survive these conflicts and troubles.

Jessee
One of the most interesting things I learned today was that no Nebraska soldiers fought at the Battle of Honey Springs. The difference between Honey Springs and other Civil War battles was that Honey Springs had many different cultures of people fighting. I would like to tell my family and friends thank you for helping me with my homework to go on this trip. And I miss you and that I love you. And I would like to tell my family and friends that I can’t wait to see them on the Fourth of July. And that this experience is really awesome. I think the Civil War survival game helps us figure out what the troops felt like being away from their family and meeting new people.

Lorie S.
I thought the Battle of Honey Springs was interesting because it was one of the most multi-cultural battles fought throughout the way. The Battle of Honey Springs was different from other Civil War battles because it was a very multi-cultural battle. I had some amazing experiences so far! I have always wanted to travel basically everywhere so this is awesome! Get to go through ten states and see many historical sites. The bad thing is my camera has problems so I’m not getting many good photos.* The Civil War survival game helps me understand the soldiers’ living conditions and struggles better. It helps me imagine myself as a Civil War soldier during that time.

Maria S.
Yesterday we went to Honey Springs. We learned many interesting facts from Civil War re-enactors but the most interesting fact I learned was that American Indians fought on both sides of the battle. About 3,600 American Indians fought in the way, along with Kentucky’s Colored Volunteer regiment.

We took a hike around the battle field. It was a really green place with trees and grass. I think the Battle of Honey Springs was the most interesting battle of all that I have learned about on this trip.

Jensen M.
Today I learned that Honey Springs was the most diverse battle. It’s amazing how many ethnicities fought in the battle. The biggest difference between this battle and many others in the Civil War was diversity. You had Native Americans fighting and the 1st Kansas Colored Volunteers fighting. I would like to tell my friends and family that this trip is very fun! Everyone is so nice and we are having a blast. The Civil War game helps me understand what different supplies you need at each battle.

Ellie
Today I learned that soldiers at Honey Springs didn’t carry anything that they didn’t need and that they didn’t have tents. What was different about this battle than most other Civil War battles was that the soldiers would go right up to each other and fight. I would like my friends and family to know that the Civil War was for freedom. The Civil War survival game has taught me about how soldiers got paid and that they can only carried what they needed.

Taylor B.
I thought it was interesting that there was a trail near Honey Springs that no one has used so there are trails from the Civil War. In the Battle of Honey Springs, I learned that Indians fought on both sides. I would like to tell my friends and family that it was a very interesting and historical site. Playing our Civil War survival game has made me realize that it was very hard for soldiers to survive.

Skyler S.
The interesting things I learned today was that American Indians fought on both sides of the Battle of Honey Springs. It also was interesting that the confederacy immediately marched in and forma alliances with the tribes. This battle was different because American Indians fought on both sides of the conflict. What I liked so far is getting to go on hikes, going on the bus with my friends and getting to know kids in Colorado and Texas. I also like learning all about the Civil War.

Jared E.
Today I learned that Honey Springs is really dense and had the most ethnic groups at the battle than any other battle. This battle was different because Indians from the same tribe fought each other on different sides of the conflict. I would like to tell my friends and family that it was very hard to sleep with all the noise and it was very hot!

Joe K.
Something interesting about Honey Springs is how the soldiers arrived at Honey Springs. This battle is different because the Union had more modern weapons. The experience that I would take home with me is that some soldiers never had rifles. The Civil War game changes my view because it makes me think like a soldier.

Tommy
Honey Springs was like a jungle to me because it was hot and buggy. I learned that the Battle of Honey Springs was different because the Confederates outnumbered the Union 2 to 1 and that Indians from the same tribe fought against each other. I would like to tell my friends and family that I would not want to fight in the Civil War.

Fernando
I learned that at Honey Springs, American Indians fought on both sides of the conflict. This battle was different from others during the Civil War because the Unions left the frontier in Indian Territory.

Coleton B.
The most interesting thing I learned was that Indians were on both sides of the war. This battle was different from others during the Civil War because there were African American soldiers fighting. If I could tell my friends back home something I would tell them about the tents and food. I’ve learned from our Civil War game that we have to use our supplies and surroundings.

Kevin V.
Today I learned that Indians battled on the both sides at Honey Springs. I would like my friends and family to know that I am having fun! Our Civil War game helps me to understand about the struggles of the soldiers.

Chris B.
I learned that the Battle of Honey Springs was the most ethnic battle in the Civil War and that Indians fought on both sides. I would like to tell my friends that it has been an amazing experience of a lifetime that I think everyone would love. The Civil War survival game makes me think more about how hard the lives of soldiers were.

Bennett T.
I learned today that the Battle of Honey Springs was ethnically diverse, that regiments from Texas participated and that lack of communication decided the battle. I want to tell my friends and family that I am having a lot of fun! There’s so much to learn and I miss you! Our Civil War survival game has taught me that decision today affect you for the rest of your life.

Nathaniel
Today I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs there were Indians, African Americans and a lot of other people at the battle. I also learned that the Confederates made a lot of mistakes. I would like to tell everyone that I have learned some new things and have seen some amazing places!

Will M.
I leaned that at the Battle of Honey Springs the Union snuck up on the rebels when their powder was wet. I also learned that the Confederates were caught off guard when their gunpowder was wet and they were low on guns. I would like to tell my friends and family that I have enjoyed all the sights I’ve seen!

Anthony G.
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs, there were almost 3,600 American Indians and that Honey Springs was the only engagement with large numbers of American Indians that fought on both sides. Our Civil War game has taught me that life must have been very hard for the soldiers in the Civil War.

Tristan H.
I learned that at the Battle of Honey Springs the Union snuck up on the Confederates when they were short on guns and their gunpowder was rained on. I would like to tell my friends and family that we went to a water park and we saw cars planted in the ground that had spray paint all over them and we slept in a tent so far on this trip! I’ve learned from our game that you should just get the stuff you need to survive in the Civil War.

Lanny M.
The most interesting thing I learned about the Battle of Honey Springs was that the First Kansas Colored Regiment participated in this battle. I also learned that there were large numbers of American Indians who fought on both sides of the conflict. I would like to tell my friends and family that it was fun going down the green slide, it was steep and about 100 feet high so I got the butterflies! Our Civil War game changes my whole outlook of battle because if you don’t have the right stuff you will be defeated or die depending on the situation.

Dalton B.
The most interesting thing I learned at Honey Springs was were that the confederates had the Union soldiers outnumbered but they still lost because of lack of technology. This battle was different because it was the most ethnic battle of the Civil War. I would like to tell my friends and family that the trip is awesome and I'm learning a lot!

*If your camper also didn’t get many photos, check out our flickr page.

No comments: