Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blog Post: June 27

We're playing a bit of catch up on the blogs and photographs -- look below and you'll see that our most recent photos have been uploaded to Flickr this morning.

On June 27th, we visited the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield and learned all about the first major Civil War battle west of the Mississippi River. As you'll read below, the students learned that communication is key both in battle and in everyday life. From there, we traveled to St. Louis and went up into the famous Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (or as it's more commonly known, the St. Louis Arch.) After a trip up and down the arch, students toured the museum and ate dinner before returning to our hotel for the evening. Below are their impressions of the day's activities:

Lorie S.
Missouri’s location as a border state was confusing because the land would constantly be changing sides so you never knew if they were Union or Confederate. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that it is very important to have good communication because if you don’t have good communication things won’t go as you hoped they would. The St. Louis Arch was so cool! We got to be 630 feet in up in thei air and see the orange sunset go down behind the beautiful city. All that topped off with the rain and lightning.

Taylor B.
Missouri’s status as a border state led to confusing battles because the state wanted to stay neutral in the conflict. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek, I learned that you should always communicate. At the arch, I was okay with going up but coming down was a different story! I thought it would be a free drop until Ezra told me it went slowly. I will never forget this experience.

Heaven T.
Missouri’s status as a border state led to confusing battles early on because many of Missouri’s citizens wanted to stay neutral in the conflict. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek I learned that Union General Nathanial Lyon was the first major general to die in the Civil War. This battle also taught me that if you do not pay attention things can go very wrong. At the St. Louis Arch I felt scared at first but when I got up there it felt magical!

Lisesette D.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they wanted to stay neutral in the conflict. The lessons I learned from my experiences at the Wilson’s Creek Battle Site are to always communicate and plan ahead to fight well. This battle also tells me that the importance of communication and consistency in my own life is important. For example, in school communication is important because if you had an assignment you would have to communicate to your teacher and fellow students. My feelings and experiences at the St. Louis Arch was great although I was pretty scared! But I still had fun.

Angelina
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they wanted to stay neutral during the conflict. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek I learned that you should always plan ahead and figure out a way to communicate with each other. I also learned that the Union Army lost this battle due to poor communication, lack of matching uniforms and common flags. The St. Louis Arch is so pretty. Have you ever thought about how hard it would be to build the arch?

Sissi
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they wanted to stay neutral in the conflict. A lesson I learned from the Battle of Wilson’s Creek was to always plan ahead and communicate well. The significance of communication helps in our lives today through school projects and when you are planning things with friends. I was very happy yet scared at the St. Louis Arch. It was so high up and it felt like we were falling forward. But it was cool because it was so big!

Jensen M.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because no one knew if the state was for the Rebels or for the Yankees since it was a border state. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek I learned that you have to communicate and if you don’t communicate it was it very confusing. If you don’t communicate you will never know your next move. In order to be prepared you must always be communicating. At the St. Louis Arch I was in complete awe. It was very neat and cool. At the top you could see everything. The ride up was awesome, you were in a little pod that went really slowly. When we left the lights on the arch made it look like it was falling! (But it really wasn’t!)

Cheyene M.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because nobody knew who was for the South and the North. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that it is very important to be sure of your actions. I also learned that the Union Army lost the battle due to poor communications, lack of matching uniforms and no common flags. The St. Louis Arch was very amazing. It was enormous! It was one of the neatest things I’ve ever seen.

Jade T.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they were on the boarder and some were for the North and some were for the South. I learned that at the Battle at Wilson’s Creek even though the soldiers were on different sides, they all went to the same hospital at the Ray family home. I also learned that if you are on a team it’s always good to have the same uniforms and the same plan. The St. Louis Arch was so amazing! I had a great time. It was so thrilling to be up that high.

Claudia M.
Missouri’s location caused confusion at the battle sights because the soldiers were wearing different outfits. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek, I learned that team work and communication is very important when doing a big job. I also learned that you have to depend upon your friends and work together and know who is on your side. At the St. Louis Arch it was pretty boring but it was a pretty cool experience. Going up was boring and looking down wasn’t scary at all.

Bryttnee L.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because the state was by water and it was easy to bring in supplies. At Wilson’s Creek, I learned that communication is the key to a lot of accomplishments. Teamwork is also a shining star in a war. At the St. Louis Arch it started to rain and I don’t like being up high in storms so I was a bit afraid. But in the end I was glad I went!!

Taylor R.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because Missouri hadn’t decided if it was Union or Confederate. At the Wilson’s Creek battle site I learned that when the army came in your house they took all of your food supplies and animals. I learned about the importance of communication at this battle site and it relates to my life because if you communicate poorly with friends and family you can drift apart. The St. Louis Arch was very cool! At the top it was fun but it got a little scary. I really liked going to the museum. It was really cool.

Madi B.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because it was right in the middle of the country. At the Wilson’s Creek battle sight I learned that looks can be deceiving. The St. Louis Arch was very fun. I had a blast but I wanted my sister Chloe to be with me because when we drove by it a couple of years before, we couldn’t go in it and she really wanted to.

Katie
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because it hadn’t yet picked a side. At the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that if communication is very bad things can go wrong, which is true in my life today. At the St. Louis Arch I felt kind of scared going up and knowing we were going to be really high up.

Jesse
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because it was so easy to bring in supplies on the river. From the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that the Ray family were just down the hill from a war. My feelings at the St. Louis Arch were nervous, scared but excited because the tower would sway 8 inches each way and were in a storm. It also was exciting because it was my first time there.

Devyn P.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because the state wanted to stay neutral in the conflict. At the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that the Union should have communicated more before the fight so they would not have had such a bad fight. At the St. Louis Arch I was really happy and excited because that was the first time I had ever been there so it was a good feeling.

Erika
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because the state hadn’t decided if they were Union or Confederate yet so it was all very confusing. At the Wilson’s Creek battle site, I learned that people used to have to tie ropes for their bed and that the Rays layed General Lyon on their bed after he died as a symbol of respect and honor. This battle taught me that communication is very important because if I, for example, wanted to go to a friend’s house but wasn’t able to communicate with my mom and I went then my mom would be very upset and it would be crazy. Consistency is important too, basically for the same reason. My experience at the St. Louis Arch was amazing. The view was so cool! And the Mississippi River was really wide compared to the river in Alamosa. That was a great experience!

Eledina
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because the uniforms looked the same. From the battle at Wilson’s Creek, I learned that Mr. Ray watched the fight on his front porch. This battle helped me learn that communication is very important and that people get things they need better when they listen to each other. The St. Louis Arch was great!

Skyler
I thought Missouri was confused because they hadn’t found out of they were Union or Confederate. At the Battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that a lot of people died and one of them was General Lyon, the first general to die in the Civil War. I learned from this battle that communication is important and relates to my life because communication helps me to stay on good terms with my friends. My feelings about the experience at the St. Louis Arch is that it was scary and I was nervous being up so high in the sky and happy to be able to have that experience.

Pilar D.
At the beginning of the war Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles because they wanted to stay neutral. From my experiences at Wilson’s Creek I learned that it is important to communicate and know your own team. The Union lost the battle of Wilson’s Creek because of poor communication and this tells me that it’s very important to be planning ahead and to have a lot of communication.

Alexis G.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because the state was a good place to take hold of for recruits or supplies. It was such an important place that both sides desperately needed it and more battles took place there than any other state. At the Wilson’s Creek battle site, I learned that General Lyon was the first general to die in the Civil war and was put on the Ray family bed before he was picked up by his troops. From this battle I learned that you always have to have communication with your allies to have good leadership and trust. If both are good then your plan is good. At the St. Louis Arch I was terrified at the top. I am scared of heights and I was glad when the group came down.

Maria S.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they wanted to stay out of a national conflict. At Wilson Creek I learned that you really need to plan out your idea and always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong or unexpected. This relates to my life because If you don’t communicate you can never get anywhere. You have to explain to others about what you want to do or what you feel like. The St. Louis Arch was so cool! I felt like I was flying. I was in a small pod with Mr. Steve and 4 other people. We fit though.

Bennett T.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because some people wanted to side with the Union and other with the Confederacy. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that communication is imperative in situations of high importance. I also learned that staying informed is very important for making good decisions. At the St. Louis Arch I felt awe, amazement and a little bit of nervousness and fear.

Austyn J.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because Missouri was with the Union but people in Missouri fought against the Union. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that if people are shooting then shoot back and to use better communication. When I was at the St. Louis Arch I thought that it was big and I felt sick.

Dalton B.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because each regiment wore different colored uniforms. At Wilson’s Creek I learned to always have good communication. At the St. Louis Arch I felt nervous!

Fernando
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because Missouri entered the Union as a slave state in 1820. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that you should always keep your kids down in the basement when there’s a war in your front yard. I also learned that you always have to do the things your boss/commander tells you, for example, your uniforms, command flags and communication all need to be consistent.

Chris B.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because Missourians needed supplies. And St. Louis is the gateway to the west. Plus it has rich farmland and other natural resources. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that you must have good communication because sometimes good communication can mean life or death. This relates to my life because in France, the only way I could call my mother was with a calling card. If we didn’t coordinate our calls and I didn’t call her she would have been worried about me. At the St. Louis Arch I was so excited to be at the top! I was in awe at the top because it was so amazing and it had a great view.

Will M.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because at the beginning of the war they could have been either Union or Confederate. From the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that you should not separate your army. I thought the St. Louis Arch was amazing!

Tristan A.
At the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that a lot of people died. At the St. Louis Arch I thought about how cool the arch was and how awesome the people who built it were.

Nathaniel
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because it was right in the middle of the south and the north so people said yes to secession and some people said no. At Wilson’s Creek the main problems were that the soldiers did not have the same uniforms, there were no common flags and there was too much smoke to see the battle. At the St. Louis Arch I felt like I went back in time.

Kevin V.
At the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that you need to be able to communicate well or the result could be disastrous. At the top of the St. Louis Arch I was extremely scared but it was still fun.

Tristan H.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they didn’t know if the other states would stay with the Union or join the Confederacy. At the Battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that if you don’t communicate with everybody then you risk dying on the battlefield. I thought the St. Louis Arch was cool and very high up! We rode the elevator all the way up to the top.

Luis M.
At the Battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that there was confusion on the battlefield because of smoke and because the uniforms of the Union and Confederate soldiers looked the same early in the war. I also learned from this battle that you have to know where your soldiers are and how they’re feeling or you won’t know what is going on in the battle. Communication is important in my life because if someone is waiting to pick me up from school but they didn’t know where I was we would both be lost. I liked the St. Louis Arch but at the same time I didn’t like it. It was nice because it was cool but it wasn’t like I expected it to be.

Jared E.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because they couldn’t decide whether to go to the Union or to the Confederacy. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that the Union lost because the commander though that the Confederate soldiers were really the Union soldiers but was mistaken. I thought the St. Louis Arch was very cool because it was built very long ago.

Tommy
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because it was in the Midwest. The lesson I learned at Wilson’s Creek was that it is best if each side wears different uniforms and can tell each other apart, and that communication is very important – without communication you can have bad consequences. At the St. Louis Arch I felt scared because it was swaying!

Anthony G.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because some people wanted slavery and some people wanted abolition. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that communication is key to finding ways to give and get information and is very important whatever the situation. I thought the St. Louis Arch was a very interesting and fun experience.

Lanny M.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because some people were slave owners and some people were not. At Wilson’s Creek I learned that communication is the key to finding ways to give and receive information, and that it is very important no matter what the situation. This relates to my life because I got to school and if you do not communicate you will not learn or make friends. I liked when we saw the sun set at the top of the St. Louis Arch.

Joe K.
Missouri’s location as a border state led to early and confusing battles at the beginning of the war because Missouri wanted to stay neutral. At the battle of Wilson’s Creek I learned that communication is key because without it, people don’t know what you are saying. I thought the St. Louis Arch was beautiful because of how big it was.


No comments: