Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blog Post: June 28

On June 28th, we took a small tour of the city of St. Louis, learned about the Dred Scott case and took a ride on the riverboat, Spirit of Jefferson. Here are everyone's thoughts on the day:

Madi B.
St. Louis is known as the gateway to the west because of the Arch and the west part of the USA is beyond the Arch. I learned that Dred Scott was famous for taking a stand against his masters and the system. I would like to know more about his life as a slave. My experience at the Spirit of Jefferson was fun, we did lots of singing!

Jade
The St. Louis Arch was more like a gate than a tour sight today -- it's facing west of the Mississippi River, making it a gateway. I learned the Dred Scott was an African American. I would like to know why they did not free him. The Spirit of Jefferson boat tour was amazing, fun, exciting and relaxing.

Sissi
I think that St. Louis was the gateway to the west because of the Missouri and Mississippi River. I learned the Dred Scott basically got his freedom. I would like to know what he did after the case. My experience on the Spirit of Jefferson was PHENOMINAL!! It was so much fun. I felt free on that boat and I got to hang out with all my firends.

Skyler
St. Louis is known as the gateway to the west because it has the huge Arch, which is a gateway. I learned that Dred Scott had a wife and kids and that they were all slaves. I would like to know what happened to his children. My experience aboard the Spirit of Jefferson was such a fun time. I got to learn about when the boat was made.

Brytnee L.
I think that St. Louis is the gateway to the west because there is a giant arch and Missouri is a state in the west. I learned that the African-American named Dred Scott sued his owner for freedom and his case ended up in the Supreme Court. His case lasted ten years. My experience on the Spirit of Jefferson was thrilling. I love the feeling of being free on the Ohio River!

Jessee U.
I think that St. Louis was known as the gateway to the west because of the big archway! I learned that Dred Scott was a freed African-American. I also would like to know what he did after his freedom. I thought that the Spirit of Jefferson boat was very fun and our tour guide taught us a lot and I had so much fun for my first time on a boat in the water.

Taylor R.
I think that St. Louis is known as the gateway to the west because people from the east could come across the Mississippi River and the Arch looked like a large gate. What I learned about the Dred Scott case was that it took 10 years and that he was set free for three months. I would like to learn some of the things that were said by Dred Scott. My favorite experiences on the Spirit of Jefferson were the wind blowing against my face and the refreshing air.

Erika
St. Louis was a major stop for people going to the west. When they built the Arch it was like a gateway, which is why St. Louis is called the gateway to the west. I learned many amazing things about the Dred Scott case, including that it made its way to the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. I would like to know what his wife thought about the case. My experience on the Spirit of Jefferson was awesome!!! It was my first time on a boat. I didn't get seasick at all. I was disappointing because I had to get off but I bough some things for my brother and for me. It was fun.

Angelina
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because it was a place to depart for all points west. I learned that Dred Scott and his wife were slaves for a woman in Missouri. I thought the ride on the Spirit of Jefferson was really cool and fun.

Eledina
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because it is an ideal place to depart for all points west. I learned that the Dred Scott case went all the way to the Supreme Court. The Spirit of Jefferson ship was so fun and I would love to go on it again and it was my first time on a ship.

Jensen M.
I think St. Louis is known as the gateway to the west because it was part of the Louisiana Purchase and westward expansion. The Dred Scott case was sad because he deserved to be free. He was in the fight to sue. I would like to know more about his family. The Spirit of Jefferson was amazing. I learned a lot about the Ohio River and the boat. The boat had three decks and the top was really cool!

Maria S.
The St. Louis Arch was known as the gateway to the west because it was an ideal place to depart for all points west. I learned that the Dred Scott case was started because there was a slave named Dred Scott and he wanted to get his freedom back. The Spirit of Jefferson was very cool. Except for the fact that the river water appeared to be dirty -- the scenery was beautiful.

Heaven T.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because the Arch was like a gate. From the Dred Scott case I learned that if you were a slave and you wanted your freedom you might have to sue for it. I would like to know if Dred Scott ever got his freedom.

Lissette D.
I think that St. Louis was the gateway to the est because of its location on the Missouri River, which made it an ideal place to depart for all points west. From the Dred Scott case I learned that he argued that his long stay in free territory was grounds for being set free. I want to know when he died. My experience aboard the Spirit of Jefferson boat was cool! It was also very refresing. I loved the ride on the boat, it was amazing.

Alexis
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because when the Louisiana Purchase was added to the USA, the west was a place for travelers to go as many trails appeared. I want to know what happened after Dred Scott finished his court case. I learned that he was a slave and sued for his freedom and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. The Spirit of Jefferson was cool but it gave me a headache. I saw cool homes from the water.

Cheyene M.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because it was part of the Louisiana Purchase. I learned that Dred Scott fought hard for freedom but never got it. I would like to know why he didn't get his freedom. The Spirit of Jefferson was very neat. It was very interesting learning about the history of the boat.

Claudia M.
I think that St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because the St. Louis Arch symbolizes the gateway to the west. I learned that Dred Scott sued for his freedom but lost so it went to the Supreme Court and he was eventually set free. Going on the Spirit of Jefferson was pretty boring I really didn't listen to the person that was talking I just walked around.

Katie
I think St. Louis was named gateway to the west because of the Arch acting as the "gate." I learned that Dred Scott tried to sue his master and lost. I would like to know whether or not the judge was from the south. On the Spirit of Jefferson I felt like I was in a HUGE canoe!

Pilar D.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because of the boats on the river. The Dred Scott case taught me that slaves could not sue their owners. My experience on the Spirit of Jefferson was exciting because I had never been on a boat before so I was excited.

Lorie S.
I think St. Louis was referred to as the gateway to the west because it was an easy way for explorers, fur traders and pioneers to cross into western territories. Dred Scott was a slave whose owner died and wanted freedom. Dred Scott then sued for his freedom and his case made it all the way to the Supreme Court in 1857. This was one of the many things that led to the Civil War. The one thing I want to know is who did Dred Scott sue? The Spirit of Jefferson was a very neat boat. Going along the Ohio River, surrounded by beautiful scenery and a cool breeze blowing through your hair on a bright sunny day. Simply amazing!

Will M.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because people used this river to travel west. I learned that Dred Scott was a slave who sued for his freedom.

Chris B.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because after the the Louisiana Purchase many travelers had to come through the city to go west. I learned that the Dred Scott case went all the way to the Supreme Court. I want to know how much the owners of Dred Scott were sued for. I thought that the Spirit of Jefferson was an amazing experience! I loved the smooth sailing on the magnificent water.

Bennett A.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because it is on the Mississippi River and the westward expansion by Lewis and Clark began here. I learned that the Supreme Court decision in the Dred Scott case was biased saying that all blacks were not United States citizens.

Tristan A.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because the Arch is shaped like a gate and people were moving west. I would like to learn more about Dred Scott's life.

Owen C.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because the arch i's a monument to westward expansion. The Dred Scott case was interesting.

Coleton B.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because when everyone went through there, they formed the western United States. I learned that Dred Scott used to be a slave.

Anthony G.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because people went through Missouri to the west. I learned that Dred Scott was a slave who sued for his freedom.

Lanny M.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because everybody going to the west went through St. Louis. I learned that when Dred Scott sued for his freedom, the US had a lot of unconstitutional laws.

Nathaniel
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because everything in the west is west of the Mississippi. Today I learned that the Dred Scott case made it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Joe K.
St. Louis is called the gateway to the west because of the Arch. I learned that Dred Scott was a slave and that his owner died and he went to Missouri because he wanted his freedom but when the case went to the Supreme Court it was denied.

No comments: